Care and Maintenance
Your decision to purchase Wilsonart® Laminate will bring you years of quality performance.
Everyday cleaning of our products is as simple as a quick wipe with a damp sponge. All resist muddy fingerprints, coffee spills and so much more.
Be sure to read and follow the recommended care and cleaning procedures.
To clean the surface, use a damp cloth or sponge and a mild soap or detergent. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and wipe dry.
Difficult stains such as coffee or tea can be removed using a mild household cleaner/detergent and a soft-bristled brush, repeating, as necessary.
If a stain persists, use a paste of baking soda and water and apply with a soft-bristled brush. Light scrubbing for 10 to 20 strokes should remove most stains. Although baking soda is a low abrasive, excessive scrubbing or exerting too much force could damage the decorative surface, especially if it has a gloss finish.
Stubborn stains that resist any of the above cleaning methods may require the use of undiluted household bleach or nail polish remover. Apply the bleach or nail polish remover to the stain and let stand no longer than two minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and wipe dry. This step may be repeated if the stain appears to be going away and the colour of the laminate has not been affected.
Prolonged exposure of the laminate surface to bleach will cause discolouration. Hot pans and heat-producing appliances (such as electric skillets), when set directly upon countertops, can mar the product’s beauty. Always use a heat shield, hot pad or potholder.
A Few Notes Of Caution
- Acidic or abrasive cleaners can damage laminate surfaces; do not use them.
- Drain cleaners containing lye will permanently damage any Wilsonart® Laminate surface. If you spill a drain cleaner, wipe it up immediately and rinse several times with water.
- Hair, textile, and food dyes can cause permanent stains. If dye should happen to spill, wipe it up immediately with dishwashing detergent or an all-purpose cleaner.
- Never place pots or dishes directly from the oven or burner on an unprotected laminate surface; such extreme heat can cause cracking or blistering.
- Do not work with oven cleaners on an unprotected countertop. Wipe spills away promptly and rinse several times with water.
- Rust removers contain harsh chemicals which will quickly cause permanent damage. If a spill occurs, wipe off all residue immediately, wash thoroughly with soapy water and rinse several times.
- Steel wool and other abrasive pads will damage Wilsonart® Laminate. Do not use them for cleaning and do not store steel wool pads on your countertop; the metal can rust and leave stains.
- Toilet bowl cleaners contain harsh chemicals that can cause permanent damage. If spills occur, wipe up immediately, wash surface with soapy water and rinse several times.
Recommended Household Cleaners
- Spray n Wipe
- Warm water and mild soap
*Prolonged exposure to bleach will cause discoloration. When cleaning Wilsonart Laminate, DO NOT use products that contain the following ingredients:
Oil of Vitriol